Now in its 36th year, this competitions applauds and rewards those members of the media who excel in the reporting of Sport in South Africa today.
Over the last number of years, SAB has made a commitment to keep these awards in line with best global practice, listening in earnest to the feedback received from the Sports media in South Africa at large and ensuring the Awards are reflective of both the local and global media landscape.
This approach to evolve the competition continues again this year with the scrapping of an overall category winner (with the exception of Photography.) This decision was taken after lengthy consultation with our judges, entrants and other stakeholders and means that the overall prize money has been distributed across all the sub-categories.
The categories for the SAB Sports Media Awards 2016 are:
- Written Media Award (Print)
- Photography Award (Print and Online)
- Video Media Award (Television)
- Audio Media Award (Radio)
- Digital Media Award (Including converged media and online, written, audio and video)
- The Newcomer of The Year for sports journalists with less than two years' experience in the Industry.
- Sports Breaking News of the Year
- Sports Media Hall of Fame
- Journalists Journalist of the Year
Entrants for the SAB Sports Media Awards 2016 should submit work produced between 1st October 2015 and 30th September 2016.
Entries open at 08:00 on Monday 12th September 2016 and close at 17:00 on Monday, 3rd October 2016.
Winners will be announced at an Awards Evening on Tuesday, 22nd November at the Wanderers Cricket Club in Johannesburg.